Saturday, August 1, 2009

Gardening: the videogame

The Videogame that reflects a favorite past time of the Chinese

The other day, coming into school, I noticed my CT, Flora, deeply engrossed in the computer. Concerned, I asked her if she was ok. Flora angrily informed me that her boyfriend had stolen all of the watermelons out of her garden. I thought that was a rather strange comment, especially since she lives in an apartment on the 4th floor of a building. Scowling, she motioned towards the computer screen, where I saw that the garden she spoke of was a computer game garden- apparently a new computer game that is all the rage in China- where a person tends their garden, planting, watering, weeding- but one is allowed to steal other people’s fruit and vegetables, as long as the person has enough food that if food is stolen, they won’t starve. Comparing it to the video games my little brother plays, which involves weapons, stolen cars, tactical plans and etc- I could only marvel at the wide disparity between the US and Chinese of what classifies as entertainment.

Of course the Chinese would play a game that involves stealing food from each other’s gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment